FAQ for solo media creators (YouTubers)


💡 Do YouTubers need to register as a business?

If you produce video content continuously and repeatedly and generate revenue from it, you must register as a business.

When registering as a business, you will need your personal identification card and a business registration application.

If you have rented a workspace, please also prepare a lease agreement 🙆🏻‍♀️

💡 Are YouTube earnings taxable or tax-exempt? What is the difference?

Whether it is taxable or tax-exempt depends on employment relationships and the presence of physical facilities.

Taxable Business
Tax-exempt Business
media content creation 
(industry code 921505)
1-person media content creator
(industry code 940306)
Employment Relationship
employs labor such as scenario writers and editors
no employed labor
Physical Facilities
has separate physical facilities such as professional filming equipment and broadcasting studios (including rentals) no separate physical facilities
Tax Reporting comprehensive income tax, value-added tax
comprehensive income tax, business status report

You can scroll the table left and right on mobile 😃

💡 Are there ways for YouTubers to reduce taxes?

There are ways for 1-person media business owners to save on taxes.

YouTubers can be covered by business expenses in various fields.

For example, if you make makeup-related videos, you can include the purchase costs of cosmetics, makeup tools, costumes, etc. as business expenses.

If you create mukbang content, you can include the cost of food, health maintenance, etc. as expenses.

If you have proper documentation, the basic cost of producing broadcasts can be included in business expenses.

If it is too cumbersome to take care of it individually, the easiest way is to register a business card on the National Tax Service website and pay for business expenses with the card.

How to register a business card on the National Tax Service website

*Expenses used for personal living expenses or self-satisfaction, such as living expenses, are difficult to consider as content production costs.

If you have any ambiguities regarding expense processing, we recommend consulting with a tax agent.